Wednesday 6 July 2016

The Witch
PHOTO PROMPT © Jan Marler Morrill
                                                                                   Photo prompt © Jan Marler Morrill

I was about nine. She must have been around fifty but looked much older.
Whenever kids saw her they chased her, rhythmically chanting, ‘Witch, witch.’ In anguish, she would hurl abuses on them.
I had never teased her; I rather pitied her. But I was scared of her.
I had gone to the market to buy curd. As I was returning, a dog pounced on me. I ran for my life. Suddenly I saw the old woman at the other end of the street. Terrified, I collapsed.
Two sad, affectionate eyes greeted me when I came to my senses. I was in her lap.
‘Relax, you aren’t hurt,’ she said softly.
***********
A post for FridayFictioneers on a photo prompt.

Word count 111

22 comments:

  1. Kids and adults can sure perceive things that aren't there

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tender one, that carries all the truth of the world... reminds me of Boo Radley...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too often felt sorry for those who were teased or ridiculed when I was a child. There's always more underneath than we see on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this story is partly based on a real life experience. i felt sad for the old lady whom boys liked to tease. thanks

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautifully crafted. We all did things we shouldn't have as kids, and things we later regret. I know I did. A few days ago I posted a largely unread story on a very similar theme called Regrets.

    Regrets. A short story

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the ones we fear are the helpers we need, sometimes ...
    Great story.
    Livehomeandaway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Arora,

    Too often we judge people by how they look, don't we? Good one.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sad, but also lovely. I hope the narrator learned his or her lesson. Peer pressure makes us say and do things we would be ashamed to do on our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, but as kids we all been doing such silly things

      Delete
  9. A wonderful story of tenderness from an unexpected source. There are a lot of possible outcomes from this storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Appearances are so deceptive and prejudices govern our judgement!

    ReplyDelete