Saturday 2 April 2016

Boiler Room


First shift started at eight in the morning.
It was my first day and I decided to reach at six, well before any worker would have come. I just wanted to walk around and feel the environment.
As I neared the boiler room I shuddered as I felt a light tap on my left shoulder. I turned around and confronted an old, sickly man. There was a deep scar on his left cheek. But his lifeless eyes were unnerving.
‘Are you the new Works Manager? There has been a killing here. Someone was brutally murdered.’
I got a bit confused; but even before I could say anything he shoved me into the boiler room, ‘There’s a dead body in the boiler room.’
A dead man was lying on the blood splattered floor. His face had been horribly mauled.
‘Who is he?’ I blurted rather weakly.
I heard only a deafening silence for I was all alone in the boiler room. I hurriedly came out of the boiler room and looked around for the old man but he was nowhere to be seen. I rushed to my office and summoned the security guard.
‘Sir, you are mistaken. There was no one in the factory. You were the first to arrive.’
I asked him to immediately go to the boiler room.
He came back within minutes, ‘Sir, I knew you were mistaken. Nothing untoward has happened.’
‘How’s that possible? I saw the body.’
I ran to the boiler room. To my horror there was no dead body in the room and no blood on the floor. I felt weak and uncertain; my legs were trembling. But I tried to mask my fear and almost barked at the security guard, ‘Go and look for the old man who told me about the dead body.’
He gave me a curious look. I tried to stare him down. But then something in him unnerved me; there was a deep scar on his left cheek.
*************


You may like to read A for Agreement here

and here is the next story C for Convoluted

18 comments:

  1. Too many ghosts moving around I say... unnecessarily harassing people.
    The last one scared me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felt like continuation of the previous one. Now the author not only himself believes in real ghosts but wants everyone else to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well certain things are always left unsaid, thanks for visiting the blog

      Delete
  3. Not a perfect way to start a new job!I wonder what happened next?

    Visit Keith's Ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can only imagine the spookiness in the story! Wonder how would the thrill be if it happens in reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well we are all free to have flights of imagination . thanks for visiting

      Delete
  5. Whoa! Now that's quite spooky!
    Nice one :)

    Cheers,
    Srivi
    The Piscean Me | Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from next door on the list. I'll be reading your posts in the morning given the topic, or I'll be having nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can't take chances with ghosts and spirits

      Delete
  7. So he was hallucinating? Yes? No? Really creepy! *shivers*
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boiler Room is never a good line you know something is going to happen. It really sets an expectation. Well done!

    I’m exploring different types of dreams and their meanings during the #AtoZChallenge at Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very suspenseful. It could go so many ways from there.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the rest can be imagined by the reader thanks for stopping by

      Delete