Friday 24 October 2014

Deception

Whenever she looked at me I would instinctively become defensive. There was something in her eyes that made me cringe with apprehension.
It was her beauty that had both mesmerized me and made me overly possessive of her. But of late I had been nursing a lurking suspicion that she did not actually love me. She was with me, my heart had sometimes said, because of what I was.
When I first saw her, I fell madly in love with her. I was in love, of course. But I was, as usual, ever watchful. By upbringing I was a predator. I was overwhelmed by her beauty; but I had also seen her needy eyes. I knew that I would succeed.
Without any conscious effort my fertile mind had weaved a snare and I was quiet deft and remorseless in using it. She was ensnared. She was overwhelmed. And I began to believe that she truly loved me; that it was love that had brought us together.
But how could her love be true if my love was tainted? 
It was this taint; taint in my love that had made me apprehensive.
Her eyes were no longer needy, but there was something in them which seemed to say that she had seen through me. Whenever she looked at me I would instinctively become defensive.


Written for Three Word Wednesday

Word prompts-defensive,fertile,needy

12 comments:

  1. I wonder if s/he is convincing themselves...if only love were easy huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes i too think that love is a myth, thanks Jae for reading the post

      Delete
  2. Love is very much a game. We are actors putting on a part and then we get drawn into the role. Finally we don't know which one we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "By upbringing I was a predator" ---> could really identify :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh is he reading something into or is she really in love with him. love your story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading and commenting,Sheiagh.

      Delete
  5. Very touching. Great use of the word-prompts.
    Nicely expressed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita, your appreciation is very encouraging

      Delete
  6. Fantastic, Arora!! Loved your story.

    ReplyDelete